View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #22
Rockfish9

Rigging: I go back and forth on when to rig, I done it both ways, prior to epoxy and after epoxy, both has their pros ond cons... for this build, we will rig prior to epoxy coating...

select a length of anealed wire, install it into the body cavity( front half) with the preformed loop nestled in at the joint, so the loop is horizontal.... where it come out the nose, measure 3/8" and mark with a sharpie, this will be the center of your line pull...

Withdraw the wire, install a nose gromet onto the wire.. do it now or you wont be able to use one.... now use a pair of needle nos pliars and bend the wire back double, making the mark your center, I find the if I preform a small loop at the center with a #0 phillips prior to crimping the wire, the wire will form the line pull more eaisiluy due to the memory in the wire... now trim back the excess wire to about 1" or so, the same as the preformed loop, crimp the end of the wire enogh to fit sthrough your swivel, I fond that the double wire will go through the #1 swivel before it will go through the slot in the #1 pikie lip, so I use a small file to widen the slot a tiny bit so I dont have to crimp the wire anymore than I have to....reinsert the wire in the plug body ( did you rember to put the nose gromet on???) be sure to capture the swivel ( give it a good tug) slide the lip over the double wire...

On my bench, I have a small aluminum jig I made for opening the wires, it has a series of holes several different sizes, the smalles hole will be the farthest awaf from the edge, the largest will be the closest, the jig is cut on an angle, so most plug lips will fit under it with out distorting them.... I insert my awl into the split in the wire in the first hole and hit it with a hammer to spread it....

continued in the next frame..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31 measuring the wire.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	32876   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 installed wire.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	32877  

A good run is better than a bad stand!