View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
Rockfish9

a few items I forgot to mention, an acid brush, I prefer a 3/8" one for this, prpare the acid brush by adding a dab of super glue all the way around the base, this will keep all the hair intact... you also might want to have some pipe cleaners, I've used wooden q tips as well..

retrive your plus from the foil, they should be heated up pretty well by now, prepare to make a mess... wearing rubber gloves is the obvious move here, I run a length of wire down the plu and make a loose loop in the end, so the plug can slide up and down the wire but not fall off, using the pipe cleaner start pouting epoxy into the plug, get it good and juicy, I keep pouring it in until it runs out the belly hole, I then block it with my thumb and keep putting mor in untilit runs out the other end...once I have acomplshed this, I apply epoxy to the outside, by now the plug may have started to cool on th outside, thats where the heat gun comes in, if I feel the epoxy is not soaking in or is getting thick, I hit it with the heat, it becomes fluid again, I do not wipe off the excess as some guys do, I just keep hitting the plug with heat, all the excess drips off...once the majority of the epoxy has run off and begun the thicken I install a piece of wax paper ( hhere I have a page to a mini calender, it's waxy surface is pefect, playing cards also work well) at this point, I stick wire in the belly hole and reposistion the plun on it's hanging wire, it make removal a cinch... if done correctly, you m now have a plug that is pretty much bullet proof...

Priming... normaly, I use Zinsser oil based cover stain over my BLO ( oil over oil) and apply it with an automotive type spray gun ( I've got a 850 cfm blower in my paint hood that exausts outside)but in cases like this where the plug is sealed with something other than BLO, I'll use the Zinsser shelac based primer , the plug will have a glass like finish, IMHO, not good for paint adhesion, so I scuff the plug body up with #220 paper... remove your wire and give the plug one final inspection, be sure the through hole is clear, it is alot eaiser now to do a repair then it is after you have the plug painted and then discover the through hole is blocked!

for priming and solid colors I use this stand to put the plugs on, it allows me to prime/paint a bunch of plugs with minimal handeling... it's just a board with a bunch of finish nails...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25 epoxy sealing.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	32869   Click image for larger version

Name:	26 primer choices.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	32870   Click image for larger version

Name:	27 primer applied.jpg
Views:	275