View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #127
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
The $1.2 million is coming from taxpayers, isn't it? How can Mansfield be in such a hole when other towns with fewer resources are in decent shape? I thought Mansfield did well with all the taxes generated from all the businesses in town.
It does and this is an issue I've brought up on a few occasions. I think a major problem is that the town has gotten so accustomed to have the extra money that with the current short income and decrease of state funding, they don't know what to do. Think of the investment banker who was making millions and now *only* makes $300k. They've grown so used to have all that income they now won't be able to send their kids to a $30k/year private school, will have to fire their private driver and find a cheaper nanny.

My understanding is that administrators and government workers are paid more in Mansfield than in many of the area towns. It's pathetic and has been pissing me off for some time.

They "sold" Mansfield Crossing to the town by trying to boast how it will bring $1.2Million in additional revenue to the town. Yet, they hired something like 4 more firefighters and at least a half dozen cops and used the added coverage needed for Mansfield Crossing as the excuse. 10 jobs starting around $40k/year = $400,000. That's a third of the supposed increased town income and that doesn't begin to take benefits and pension into consideration.

I had been saying that since day one, but D'Agostino and Co. refuse to say no to developers in the town. Fortunately, he's gone after this year.