View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Talk about cherry-picking

There are only 2 reasons to open carry an assault rifle: to intimidate members of the public and to hunt people. In fact, even open-carrying a handgun is asinine the idea started with "it's good to be armed to defend yourself against a shooter." But of course, if you're eating at Luby's, and an active shooter comes in & sees you with a gun, you're the first one he'll shoot. It's those with *concealed* guns that offer protection *because* it was open carry, was the beginning, middle, end of this entire tragedy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I stated that the open carry thing was "a glaring problem, among the other glowing embers of problems". I didn't want to take the time and effort to get into the other problems. I have done that with you many times in the past--critiquing your posts line by line. Didn't want to get into the various weeds here, but stick to his point. What you selected from the article here "There are only 2 reasons to open carry an assault rifle" is one of those glowing embers. There are more than two reasons. Eichenwald is making himself the arbiter of reasons in order to make his point sound more plausible.

Is Eichenwald saying that those dozens of others carrying so--called "assault" rifles was "to intimidate members of the public and to hunt people"? If so, why weren't they attacked? And if you're going to be in a situation in which several people are armed and openly carrying, "assault" rifles or other guns, wouldn't a reason to be carrying one yourself be to protect yourself, either by "intimidation" or force if necessary?