View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Rounding errors got us to a record deficit, budgets are controlled either by ensuring creep does not occur or by chopping off whole parts. This is a massive increase with no proven benefit. Now, true to form, you'll spout some rhetoric about how I shouldn't care because whatabout.
Where did I say you said every border patrol folk is for the wall, I gave you some reasoning for why this might not be a valid reason to jump on this train.
Why does not a single representative from any district on the entire Mexican border support a WALL?

WTF does this statement relate to in this thread prior to it
"Paul, doesnit mean anything to you, that all the border patrol agents i’ve seen, including the man who led the entire border patrol under obama, say the wall will help"

You didn't start the thread and you don't control the direction, though you certainly want to make sure all agree with you or else.
"Rounding errors got us to a record deficit,"

Fine, so if your issue is the money, would you be OK with the wall if we funded it by cutting 5B in waste from elsewhere in the budget?

"This is a massive increase with no proven benefit."

We know exactly what the benefit was, where previous walls were put up - San Diego, El Paso, Yuma. Sure there is some speculation, but most federal spending is done without a guarantee of an exact, tangible benefit. We aren't a bank lending money. We spend much on social programs which we hope helps people.

If you reject public policy that doesn't have a "proven benefit", you must also reject climate change programs, as those proposed benefits are far, far from "proven".

You walked into that one.

"Why does not a single representative from any district on the entire Mexican border support a WALL?"

Ted Cruz does, he represents the entire state. Maybe the ones you are referring to, care more about politics than they care about solving problems.

When the right points to actual, irrefutable benefits that have been realized in places that built the walls, and the left 's best response(and they supported walls in 2013) now says that walls are racist and don't work, the argument is over. The left isn't even trying to make any kind of rational argument. A wall isn't racist. Not when Trump says he wants to increase legal immigration.

"you don't control the direction, though you certainly want to make sure all agree with you or else"

Wrong. I know I can't persuade the Kool Aid drinkers, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of the arguments.