View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
"Its all funny HAHA Trumps an Idiot" he doesnt always say things perfect but in this case he is partly correct. When it is illegal to take dead or fallen trees on government land in CA for personal use firewood, yet is legal in many other western states. In Idaho you purchase a permit for about $50 for the year to cut up to 5 or 6 cords of dead and fallen trees for personal use. Instead of Mexico (haha) paying for it, you have locals paying to remove the dead trees. And CA also severely cut the funding of creating fire breaks and fire prevention programs over the past 10 years.

Fires happen in all forests no matter how much removal of dead growth is done, however it is MUCH easier to battle a fire that does not have decades worth of dead growth trees feeding the damn fires.

It is also a lot easier for fire crews to move around on a forest floor that isn't a pile of dead trees. My brother is a "Hot Shot" crew member in Idaho and he says most of the fires in CA, you cannot effectively use hot shot type fire crews because of the danger to them and their limited mobility due to the dead growth. The fires happen no matter what the cause, electric company issue, camp fires, or lightning, but CA makes it unnecessarily dangerous and difficult to fight these fires when they occur.
A lot of these fires aren’t even starting in the forest though and the feds control a majority of the forest land in CA anyway. From what I’ve read the private land management in California is actually quite good.

Bigger issue seems to be more people living in fire prone areas and climate change which is cooking an already dry climate.

Regardless, with 1200+ still missing, nearly a hundred already dead and thousands of first responders and firefighters risking life and limb this is shaping up to be an epic American tragedy...

That Trump’s first instinct is to blame others is pretty pathetic.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device