View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Human hook removal...

So after the recent incident of hooking my buddy by accident( or was it... ) I figured I'd post this, later I'll post what you should have in your medical kit.

First off, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry a pair of pliers that can cut a hook, any hook you carry. On an offshore boat we had both cutters and a cordless dremel that would cut monster shark/tuna hooks. I had one in my hand, trust me, you're not gonna wanna leave it in.

Easiest: Force the barb out through the skin if its not too deep, cut the barb off, back it out, apply liberal alcohol/hydrogen peroxide, toss a bandage over it. If your tetanus shot isn't up to date, GO GET ONE!

As far as pushing the barb through, I've found doing it myself was easiest, some people find it easier to have someone else do it. Whatever works for you.

Second method is the snatch method, I've never used this, but I'm sure someone on here has before.

To perform the snatch method when the barb is imbedded, all that's needed is a short length of fishing line, at least 10 pound test, approximately 2 feet long.

1. Remove hook from lure.
2. Double the fishing line and loop it around the hook, as close to the skin's surface as possible.
3. Hold onto both ends of the doubled line, wrapping them around your hand for a firm grip and holding the line parallel to the skin's surface in line with the hook.
4. With your other hand, press the eye of the hook down onto the surface of the skin and back toward the hook's bend, as if trying to back the hook out of the wound.
5. While pressing on the hook eye, yank the line sharply, parallel to the skin and in line with the hook, to snap the hook back out of the wound.
6. Apply antibiotic ointment, bandage wound and check to make sure tetanus shots are current.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote