View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 01:05 AM   #38
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Me thinks you have your woods mixed up with your irons

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...reer/99964020/
Yes, his mother, according to Tiger, was the enforcer of whom he said "My mom’s still here, and I’m still deathly afraid of her. She’s a very tough, tough old lady, very demanding. She was the hand, she was the one, I love her so much, but she was tough."

But his father taught him the game. He was a taskmaster, and played psychological games with Tiger to make him mentally tough.

You said "Trump is like the brutal soccer coach and tyrannical father figure, living vicariously through his tortured boys. Sure he knows what makes a great soccer player and in theory a great team, yet knowing these things helps him achieve neither." No doubt Tiger's father, like your brutal soccer coach, lived vicariously through Tiger's success. And, contrary to your notion that "all this does little to make great soccer players or a great team. It only makes boys that can't wait for each game and practice to end, wishing daily they were old enough to quit, so they could move on to something they enjoy and make their own decisions," Tiger did become great and he loved to practice and he loved his father. Actually, a biography of Tiger Woods by Benedict and Keteyian show that Tiger and his father, in some ways, especially sexual, are more like the media's portrayal of Trump rather than being upright, honorable people

Bobby Knight would be a better example of the brutal coach you conjure up. He more closely lived up to your depiction of such a coach of whom you say "His MO is belittling his boys, forcing them to practice until they are sore and beat physically and more so mentally. Come game time it's screaming obscenities from the sidelines at both his boys for not staying in their lanes, the opponents and the coaches." And yet he created winning teams and championships and was respected by most of his players.

There are many stories of children who were forced to practice an instrument against their will and who would rather do something else, but in the end, became highly successful, even great virtuosos and wound up being thankful for their parents "brutal" discipline. Some may not have eventually been thankful, but became wealthy, famous stars of their craft, a la, Michael Jackson. Various armed services and special forces go through tortuous training and come out better than they went in and respected their drill master.

But Trump doesn't actually seem to fit your brutal soccer coach mode.
His children love him and are loyal to him. They are not failures who resent the way he raised them. And many who know Trump say he is the opposite of your brutal soccer coach. And many like him and are loyal to him. And he rewards loyalty.

Of course, you probably don't believe any of that. I take the word of those who like him, are loyal to him, say he is congenial in person and not the psychopathic monster that various media portray him to be. I have no reason to think that they are lying. But you, apparently, do not believe them. And so, for you, he is that despicable being, and so you can add to the narrative and make him the "brutal coach" who is hated by his players and who does not create winners.

Sometimes, often, "brutal" coaching is not as brutal or rotten as you depict it and can actually achieve winners, champions, better people . . . success.

But, the context as Spence would call it, is different when comparing Trump with a brutal coach. Politics (not statesmanship) is a dirty game. In politics it is the nature of the game to play dirty. In politics, the dirtiest player does not necessarily finish last. Nor does the least dirtiest player necessarily finish first. But most all of them play dirty. And always have.