View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I don't think you can determine IF arming teachers will have the affect people think it might. Teachers aren't immune to having life beat them down to a point they think they have had it and having seen teachers back in my day take a lot of crap from the kids who really didn't want to be there; not sure I'd want that guy/gal armed when he/she snaps.

Then they have to be willing to use that gun and actually kill someone at close range, that's a world apart from shouting targets at your local gun club range. Then what if the shooter hasn't shot anyone yet and there is a possibility he can be talked down by a police negotiator, but the teacher prevents that from happening by confronting him and it escalates if the teacher fails to neutralize the shooter.

Then you have the crazy student, who learns the teacher has a gun and he doesn't have access to any at home, there are just so many situations to consider to even make a judgement call. I personally think funding for better school security measures, better awareness from other students (see something, say something), teachers and parents; along with better mental health care options are a better options.

What will be interesting down the road quite a ways, is what percentage of these younger kids who walked out yesterday asking for change, become the voters who will decide to seat someone who will change the gun laws in Washington. Look at this year and the Me too movement, women becoming empowered and the youth speaking out for changes; if the momentum holds some changes are inevitable.