View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The "ownership society" was a big plank in the 2000 Bush platform. I remember reading a Bush speech from then praising all the efforts of the financial institutions to provide loans to low income borrowers.

What seems to be getting lost is the issue wasn't necessarily low income housing (i.e. where liberals -- and President Bush -- might want to defend populist interests) but also people with moderate to high income who took out massive ARMs to buy into housing they simply couldn't afford. I know first hand of some friends who were making at least 250K a year and blew it because of their own recklessness...ultimately loosing their house.

As has been discussed at length in older threads, this was a massive and systemic problem largely driven by sub prime and prime loans being bundled together without adequate regulation.

Plenty of blame to go all around...

-spence
Spence, just because you know some well-fto-do folks that bit off morethan they could chew, means NOTHING. The problem, as everyone who can think rationally knows, was subprime mortgages. I'm not saying that wealthy folsk had no foreclosures. But what brought the system down was mortgages to poor folks who had no business getting those loans.

You keep telling yourself that it was something else. That way you'll make the same exact mistake.

This is why liberalism is a mental disorder. The complete, willful unwillingness to recognize irrefutable fact, unless those facts serve your current agenda. Unbelievable.

You are right, trhere is plenty of blame on both sides. But I have never, ever heard Obama suggest that liberal policies played any role. All he ever says is that the republicans drove the car into the ditch. Or am I wrong Spence?