View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #95
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I Know that....I just don't see how 1 is a Completely Disrespectful comment and the other is No Big Deal...just not seeing it.

My point I guess is that they all do it....they all make there off the mark comments...with the intention to Inflame one side and/or pander to the other....

so you're saying that there is nothing disrespectful about a justice calling the president a liar.....but its completely disrespectful for the president to challenge the SCOTUS.

Look...I'm not trying to stick up for Obama and I'm not trying to slam Bush....I'm just saying they all do it. and it doesn't make it better just because they belong to one side or another.
"I just don't see how 1 is a Completely Disrespectful comment and the other is No Big Deal...just not seeing it. "

Bush's and Obama's comments are similar. But true judicial activism is different from a court saying the the Feds are overreaching with, say, the healthcare law. For example, in some states the people have voted against gay marriage, and then the courts overturn that. That's true judicial activism, that's true legislating from the bench. If SCOTUS throws out the individual mandate, it's not "legislating", that's saying that the feds are trying to do something that the Constitution doesn't give them the authority to do. Maybe it's a subtle difference at best.

"nothing disrespectful about a justice calling the president a liar."

Alito didn't call him a liar, he said that Obama was wrong. Being wrong and lying aren't even remotely the same thing. In that case, the atrocity wasn't that Alito talked back. The atrocity is that Obama knows the Supreme Court Justices are sitting right in front of him, and he feels justified to trash them in his speech, knowing they don't have the opportunity to refute Obama. I have never seen a President do that before, but Obama does it all the time. He trashed Bush at his inauguration speech, with Bush standing right there. He did it to Paul Ryan at a speech about the economy. Obama displays no class towards those who don't kiss his ring, none at all.