Thread: gun laws
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
bssb
river rat

Amendment II to the U.S. Constitution

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This was written in a time with no police force, national gaurd or military. I believe if you have a hunting licence should be able to own a hunting riffle. Other than that I don't think anyone not in the millitary, NG, or police force should have one. I reallize many good people only want one for protection, and I don't blame them. I also think there are other ways to protect yourself and family without have a gun. they have guns now that can shoot a dart packing an electric charge. Me personally, I have a machete. I think to many people are killed every year in violent crimes and even accidents to warrant everyone having the right to own a gun. The reason so many criminals have guns is because they are too easy to get.The link between accessibility to firearms and death rates has been suggested in a number of studies. One study which examined the link between gun ownership rates and firearm deaths within Canadian provinces, the United States, England/Wales and Australia concluded that 92% of the variance in death rates was explained by access to firearms in those areas. Another review of 13 countries showed that there was a strong correlation between gun ownership and homicide rates and suicide rates.

The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics [1] :

In 1999, 3,385 kids ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
214 unintentional
1,078 suicides
1,990 homicides
83 for which the intent could not be determined
20 due to legal intervention
Of the total firearms-related deaths:
73 were of children under five years old
416 were children 5-14 years old
2,896 were 15-19 years old

Gun-related deaths

In the top firearm-household states, homicide rates were more than double the rates found for states in the lowest firearm group. Overall, the top-gun states showed homicide rates that were 60 percent higher than all other states.

Last edited by bssb; 11-08-2008 at 11:47 AM..

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison