Thread: Fluke fishing
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
What are your best methods for catching them?
What kind of structure, depth? Do you drift or anchor?
What tackle setup works best?

Thanks
I'm no expert but here's what I like...
1. Wind/tide mostly in the same direction OR at least I can use a drift sock to overcome a crappy wind.

2. Depth depends. I like deeper water, but a VERY good fisherman i know likes shallow. Generally, once you find them they will be at the same depth most of the tide

3. Structure? i like sand/small rocks and pebbles. I've gotten some NICE fluke in very rocky structure. For me, the gear lost trade off isn't worth it.

4. I use 2 rods now.
A. I bucktail with one with a teaser 12" up. (1-3 ounces, 3 VERY
RARELY, usually 1.5) both using gulp.
B. Dead stick with a fluke rig. I use squid UNTIL I get my first
keeper, then i cut the "wings" off the fluke belly and use that.

I like rising depth, i always try to drift into shallower water. I'll start either in a hole and drift out, or up onto a hump. Drifting edges and/or ledges is also productive. basically ambush spots ar place fluke can have bait swept into them. UNLIKE bass, i rarely find them on the deeper side of a slope/structure at least not consistently.

NEVER EVER EVER anchor when fluking. Your really just getting a tan at that point.

ALWAYS stay ON THE BOTTOM.

All this being said... whenever i talk to Clammer i am always reminded i really have no idea what I am doing.

Last edited by JFigliuolo; 07-20-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote