View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Nebe -

When you say conservatives like to follow rules...if you mean we are more rigid in thinking in some ways than liberals, I agree.

But I think you have misinterpreted (or been misinformed) about what that means.

Most conservatives don't believe that you have to go to mass every single Sunday, or fold your socks in a certain way, or make your bad as precisely as you have to do in the Army. We aren't lemmings.

The rules that we like to follow, have a clear moral purpose that can be seen with any honest analysis of historical facts. The rules we like to follow, include...

listening to your parents
working hard in school, getting as educated as possible
showing as much empathy for others as possible (don't put yourself first all the time)
don't do drugs
don't risk getting yourself or anyone else pregnant, until you are ready
when you have kids, dedicate your life to their development

Nebe, we aren't a bunch of lemmings. We know why we are following these rules, because every study ever done, and there have been hundreds, show that this is the blueprint for a happy, full life.

I'm not saying all conservatives follow these rules, nor am I saying that 0 liberals follow these rules. But in my opinion, liberalism is based more on a motto of "if it feels good, do it". When you convince pepole of that, you get things like a huge spike in the % of babies born to single moms, and guess what? That's EXACTLY what happened, thanks to the radical liberal revolution of the 1960's. Not a great cultural leap forward in my opinion.

Liberals, I believe, don't