View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #76
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You know what's interesting, his children (at least Ivanka and Eric) don't act like him at all. When I see them on TV, they present themselves well, they appear poised and mature. He needs to act a bit more like them.

The way his children turned out and how they support him kind of tell me that there is something about Trump that we are missing when we sum him up to be this temper tantrum deranged teenager who will destroy our world.

"it's concerning to me that someone this thin skinned is in charge of handling the many very serious global issues "

You are right to have some concern. Fortunately, there are some limits to what he can do unilaterally, we have all kinds of limits to his authority, all kinds of checks and balances.

"the announcement this morning about the Trump brand moving into China, begs the question is he getting special treatment to influence his decisions moving forward"

Of course it begs that question. Handing the business to his kids, which I think is what he did, isn't nearly enough of a separation. He should have sold his entire family's interests outright.
So what happens if he gets impeached and removed from office? If he has sold his interests outright, does he get them back. Maybe he should just collect his pension, if he gets one. He did say that he is not going to collect a salary as President. Is that the case, I wonder?

Did the Founders of this nation give up all their stuff when they got elected to office? No. The bulk of their income actually came from their private interests and assets. That did not corrupt their ability to govern. And they defended and protected the Constitution far better than our "divested" politicians of today.

I think that business of divesting themselves is overplayed. It would certainly be exposed by our attentive media if a Republican President was using his office for financial gain. Maybe not so much if a Democrat one did. Whatever the China thing is, it cuts both ways. Although, with China to date, it seems to have been a one way street.