View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I agree that in many aspects, many of Bush's actions stemmed from heartfelt beliefs. However, it is my opinion that almost *all* of Bush's policies were based on his "heartfelt belief" as opposed to calculated decisions.
Or worse, the heartfelt beliefs of those around him.

Example.

Bush (protect the American people) + Advisers (democratize the Middle East) = Policy (protect the American people by democratizing the Middle Ease)

I think Bush came across as genuine for many because he believed most of what he was saying. He did though appear to lack the intellectual curiosity to dive into issues and explore the various facets. He was more apt to simply take things for what they appeared to be (or was told) and if he felt he was making the right decision he would be clear with this choice.

This works fine when everything is rosy, but I think proven to be dramatically insufficient when dealing with the complex problems that he was presented with. The world isn't black and white but they tried to make it out to be so as to be easier for the American people to swallow.

-spence