Thread: Debate
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I think Joe's teeth were loose again. He was right on this:

"A new study finds that a full-scale single-payer health insurance program, also called "Medicare for All," would cost about $32 trillion over 10 years.

The study from the Urban Institute and the Commonwealth Fund found $32.01 trillion in new federal revenue would be needed to pay for the plan, highlighting the immense cost of a proposal at the center of the health care debate raging in the presidential race.

The study did not analyze the exact proposals from any presidential candidates, but the proposal it examined is roughly similar to the one put forward by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and backed by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). "

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-over-10-years
So the math works and looks like this

In 2017 Americans spent 3.5 trillion on healthcare https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statist...17.9%20percent.
3.5 x 10 years is 35 trillion assuming zero growth in spending.

In 2017 healthcare grew by 3.9%, so if we are really silly and assume it would grow at roughly half that say 2% the total expenditures after 10 years would be 39 trillion and still not cover 32 million people.

Assuming it would grow at the same rate puts the number at 43.5 trillion and without changes the uninsured population would increase.

Every other developed country has figured out how to control healthcare costs, make sure it is available to all and spend far less.

The only thing either party has been successful in regarding healthcare costs is in increasing them and getting money for campaigns and jobs as lobbyists.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin