Thread: Hawg Hunter
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 09:23 PM   #17
fishing bum wannabe

Thanks

I want to thank Goose and Bob Thomas for the Hawg Hunter photos and their descritions. I made 10 Hawg Hunter 'mannabes'. They are 8 1/2" long and weighted to 3.5 oz. I was able to take the supplied photos and get good scaling, as well as detailed drawings using Adobe Photoshop.

The one with the eye in the middle is a neat squid coloration. Paint the body with three coats Rustoleum Painters Touch white primer. After drying, coat the top of the plug with Rustoleum Painters Touch red primer (actually a reddish brown color). Finally, while the red primer is wet, coat the entire plug with Krylon natural pearlescent paint. Spray over the brown area lightly and give the white belly heavier coverage. Final top coat was Envirotex. The picture does not begin to do that color combo justice. The squid color plugs look ready to cut up, deep fry and make calamarie.

Before finding this board I was happy to crank out a couple of dozen poppers each year. I wasn't worried about finish (2-3 coats of the cheapest paint I could find) and go catch fish. i was meticulous about the tapers and weighting of my plugs. Now I am as interested in the finish as i am in the action. i doubt that these will catch any more fish than the plugs I had been making, but they sure do look prettier in the tackle box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atom40s copy.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	2395  

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote