View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i’ve said 100 times that overturning Roe can’t have much practical effect. Abortions will be available in half the states. So we agree.

Therefore, there’s no reason for your side to act like the world
just ended, is there?

So every time the court rules in a way the left doesn’t like, they can go to hell? is that how it works?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
They can be ignored at some peril.
You can’t imprison people for their thoughts yet and hopefully not in my state.

Next, the court will dismantle the federal regulatory apparatus on Monday.

This will push each state to have to implement its own wildly different environmental and regulatory regimes.

They're going to literally destroy the country.

In a country this polarized, leaving each state to do whatever it wants while keeping Congress broken and undemocratic by filibusters, gerrymandering and big money in elections, means the country will inevitably balkanize. Originalism is a path to national destruction.

Blue states will be providing corridors and safe havens for women, LGBT people and others, in shadows of the 1860s. Companies won't be able to have offices in some states. People won't send their kids to college in certain states. States will be constantly suing each other.

It all comes down to the fact that the compromises the Framers made to get slave states on board with a union were bad ones and led to a civil war. Reconstruction didn't last long enough. Jim Crow should have been demolished by force. This is the same #^&#^&#^&#^&, different day.

The "states should do whatever they want and the federal govt should have no power except what literally passes filibuster-proof through our broken, rigged, apartheid, and dark-money-drenched Congress & White House" crowd, if they win, will literally destroy the country.

Letting every state functionally be a country unto itself while leaving Congress rigged and broken is a horrifically bad idea. Republicans are literally destroying this country's ability to function as a unified whole.

All because some appointed people believe in the absurd originalist doctrine that claims
(1) we should ignore changes in social conditions or context
(2) we should trust politically motivated lawyers to interpret the contextual meaning of anything that happened 300 years ago.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin