View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Matt D

Here's a list from TVfool.com showing what channels should be available in Onset. The channels are listed by predicted signal strength so the higher up on the list the better chance you should have to receive it. Also there's really no such thing as an "HDTV antenna", that's pure marketing. The frequencies you need to receive are the same as in the olden days. Most are UHF but there's still some VHF as well. If you look at the channel list I posted below anything with a "real channel" shown of 13 or below is VHF. I didn't look at the link for your particular antenna, but it's common for antennas marketed as HDTV versions to be UHF only. Your strongest signal Fox and CBS channels from Onset are VHF.

As a data point when I camp at Scusset I get about 6 channels with my less than stellar antenna. During the daytime a few of them will pixelate in and out. Nighttime is usually much better. Unlike analog TV you don't get the option to watch a snowy picture. It's either perfect or digital blocks.

As far as grounding, it sounds like you've got it under control. IMO the biggest thing to make sure is you've got a grounding block on the coax to bleed of static electricity. Grounding the antenna itself is required by code, but a lightning strike is going to go pretty much where ever it pleases.

I'll be down that way for a couple weeks beginning next Sunday. Be glad to take a look and help out if you're having problems.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote