View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
I'm not so sure that scup are actually such a bad problem to have. The bigger ones fight hard and are pretty good eating; I've always enjoyed catching them when I'm down at BB. As for the small ones, they should make good striper bait. Why not bring two rods the next time, catch scup wth the first and liveline with the second, like RIrockhound said? That way, you can go two for one. (Be sure to bring some scissors to cut off the top fins on the ones you liveline). And, if you are in a rocky area, you shouldn't have to go far to find stripers (although at this time of year, I'm not sure how many are in BB overall).
LOL thats how I been doing it, I have my 2 striper rods that I troll with and then a light weight rod I use for trout to catch scup. I modified my kayak and added 2 forward rod holders so I can have the 2 behind me (lines up) while I fish for scup with the light rod. This works very good near the pylons of newport bridge. If the striper are not hitting the tube and worm, the scup are always biting.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote