View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
not all high achieving women are accused of sleeping their way to the top ( no one accused hilary of that, god knows), but harris is. willie brown admits it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Just more fake news you find on Faux

Kamala Harris and Willie Brown had a relationship in the mid 1990s. At the time, Harris was working as an attorney in various city offices.

Brown, who is nearly 30 years older than Harris, had been elected mayor after serving in the state legislature for more than 30 years.
Willie Brown has led an eccentric, outspoken life, and his exploits with women have been well-documented. In 2001, news broke that Brown had impregnated his top fundraiser, for example. However, the claim that Kamala Harris had "an affair" with Brown, implying not only that they had a relationship but that it was furtive and seedy, doesn't check out.

It's true that Brown has technically been married since 1958. However, Brown and his wife separated amicably in 1982 — more than 10 years before his relationship with Harris began — according to a 1984 New York Times profile of Brown.

So again, claims that Kamala Harris had an affair with a married man just don't check out.

Did Kamala Harris use her relationship with Brown to launch her political career?

Kamala Harris and Willie Brown made no effort to hide their relationship in the early 1990s. When Harris first ran for public office in 2003, long after the relationship ended, her previous relationship with Brown didn't help her chances — it actually hurt them.

Harris' opponents, incumbent District Attorney Terence Hallinan and local attorney Bill Fazio, turned her previous relationship with Brown into a campaign issue, arguing that Harris could not be trusted to hold Brown accountable as DA because they had been previously involved:

Hallinan and Fazio aren't attacking Harris' platform (which they both profess to generally share) or professionalism (each admits that Harris is a competent prosecutor). Rather, they are knifing her with innuendo, saying her ties to the outgoing mayor would cause her, as district attorney, to look the other way should her former beau or his political minions ever be credibly accused of committing crimes in office.
The charge that she is Brown's puppet — that she's guilty by association with a mayor who has not been found guilty of anything — infuriates Harris. Though in third place in recent polls, she's a political comer. She's whip-smart, hard-working, and well-credentialed to be San Francisco's top criminal prosecutor. She's hauling in campaign cash like there's no tomorrow. And topping it all off, she's a beautiful blend of East Indian mother and African-American father who may draw votes particularly well among women and minorities. If she manages to come in ahead of Fazio in the Nov. 4 election, and if Hallinan fails to win more than 50 percent of that vote, she'll face the district attorney in a December runoff. In a high-profile sprint against an aging incumbent, Harris — with her brains, connections, and buppie glamour — might just emerge victorious.

If she can just get out from under this damn Willie Brown thing.

Willie Brown was a lame-duck mayor at that point. Kamala Harris said it didn't make sense for her to criticize the outgoing mayor just to appear independent. She added:

I refuse... to design my campaign around criticizing Willie Brown for the sake of appearing to be independent when I have no doubt that I am independent of him — and that he would probably right now express some fright about the fact that he cannot control me.

His career is over; I will be alive and kicking for the next 40 years. I do not owe him a thing.

In any event, the smear tactics did not work. Harris won the 2003 election. But smears that she had had an affair with a married man and used it to launch her political career (implying heavily that she could not have done it on her own) followed Harris to the national stage.

And i guess you missed Pizzagate, usually you're right there spreading that kind of fake news.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin