View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
putty

I have the Riptide SP70 with I-Pilot bow mounted on a 15' center console- spot lock is definitely a useful tool, but I found it to be nearly problematic in my estuary at certain stretches with heavier current and especially with a stiff breeze.

A couple times in the spring upstream where I'd use the spot lock to hold on an area at a river bend with decent flow and start casting, boat would start to get pulled off the spot and then the motor would kick in full throttle to get back to its spot- when standing on top of the bow trying to cast and the trolling motor kicks on full speed can almost throw you off the boat! And if you have a cross wind and heavy current imagine a compass that you used to use in school, where you have the point (bow) that is stationary, yet the boat can do a 360 degree turn around that point. (yes this is exaggerated for effect) Although the point remains the same, your boat will not always remain in optimal casting position from where it was intended.

I did not do much experimentation last year with setting up and running any GPS programmed tracks, but will mess around with that more this upcoming season. Open ocean and or bay fishing it worked absolutely perfect.

Last edited by putty; 02-10-2017 at 01:57 PM..
putty is offline   Reply With Quote