Thread: Paris
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Great post, very dishonest to suggest that any other religion poses the threat that is posed by Islamic jihadists.

Interesting debate on some networks, on whether or not it was wise to publish the cartoons. I don't think so. Yes, we all have the freedoms to do things like that, but the fact that we have the freedom to do something, doesn't mean we have the obligation to do something.

I read that the publisher of that periodocal once said he'd "rather die on my feet than live on my knees". Three cheers for him, he got his wish. Unfortunately, his needlessly provoking the jihadists cost the life of the police officer, and now there's another hostage at risk. All for the ability to publish purposeless cartoons? Some things are worth risking lives for. I don't put the publication of silly doodles in that category.

If Salman Rushdie wants to put a bulls-eye on his own forehead, that's his business. But I don't want him announcing a book signing at my kids' nursery school.
That's exactly the attitude the terrorists want to instill in the rest of the world, especially in the West.

Yes, we are obliged to exercise freedom. Use it or lose it. Habit is created by continuous doing, or not doing.

When freedom is restricted by fear, it becomes hostage to tyrants. And if "wisdom" restricts freedom to a service for others rather than an inalienable right to express what you feel compelled to say, or what you wish to say, or even for the sake of what you "need" to say in order to be who you desire to be, or, crass at it may seem to others, to make a living . . . then wisdom is a tyrant.

In my opinion, wisdom would be on the side of defending freedom rather than restricting it. I would think, Jim, with your protective posture toward religion, which in its deepest sense is a form of expression, and which, when freely practiced, "expressed," can be and has been the cause of so much death, that you would not be so ready to caution others about being "wise" not to provoke others merely by expressing what you believe.

Ultimately, we are free to do whatever we wish. And, yes, there will be consequences for our actions. At best, and wisest, is to abide by agreeing not to harm others directly by our actions. When others react violently to our actions, it is they, not us, who are responsible, and who do not abide by the "wise" social contract. The cartoonists disagreed with you. They did not consider their cartoons to be "purposeless." And they saw what you characterize as "silly doodles" worth risking their lives for. And if it is wise to practice personal freedom in order to keep it, then they paid the price of that wisdom, and by it, have further shown to the rest of us, what we should know, that we must stand for freedom, fight for it. And if we die for it, let it be an example for the living that those who wish to deprive us of freedom are the ones who must submit to the wise social contract. Or else, it is they who must suffer the consequence. Otherwise, freedom is lost.