View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #121
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan560 View Post
Nice work! I was going to try making a predator this winter.I have a 1oz. Plastic version to go off of. From what I read the larger version fishes better?
The Dalecki darter looks pretty cool.I'm guessing that's birch or maple?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Little wood predator copies swim better than the small plastic originals in my limited experience making them.
The 6" plastic plug is an excellent lure. I posted how to make it years ago in a thread called "Getting Ugly with It" I think. Eddy copied them and they swim well but I think the original has a more concave tail which helps.
I don't think Eddy weighted his. I'm happy to send you a plastic original, Ryan, if you'd like. PM me your address.
The one I pictured is a larger version and not a strict copy of the design (more of a shaped neck). I weighted it in front of the hook but have not tested it yet.

I don't have an original Dalecki. I suspect they were maple or birch because people complained they often cracked but the ones I've built (with dimensions that are a guess from a picture so are likely off) came out too heavy in those woods (based on the advertised weight of 2oz that might also be inaccurate) so I'm trying some other woods. They are a pain to shape (particularly the maple) and it drives me nuts that he was able to build and sell these things in quantity. He must have had some sort of jig to speed things up but I can't figure it out.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote