Thread: MrPogies fault
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 05:07 PM   #11
NEXT2NUN
Shorts and Sandals

Send a message via AIM to NEXT2NUN
I have an old rockwell with a flat bed, so it's easy to clamp or bolt a base to. Make a base a little wider than the blank your turning so everything will clear .keep the base and sides the same lenth as the blank, so it is easy to line up. To the base mount two pieces of 1/4 ply or masonite, whatever is easiest to shape.Keep the height well above (1 or 2 inches) your centers.Mark the height of your center on the front board, draw a horizontal line across the board. Now to keep the profile part easy. Say we are making a 1" diameter by 7" long popper. Draw a line 1/2" above your centerline draw a curve down for the tail either by eye or make a paper template from a favorite. keep this centered so you won't be working close to the end of your blank. The nose of the plug has to be cut by hand at an angle after so it can just run long. Now that your profile is drawn. Take the boards off the base tape them together , cut along the centerline and around the plug profile, touch it with some sand paper so its straight and smooth. Mount this back on the base, and take it off the lathe.Turn the plug close to finish.You can hold the jig on the blank to mark the turn down for the tail. Now take the tool rest off or slide out of way and remount the jig.Hold a file or sanding block across from front to back and finish the plug , you can't take away to much material because the jig only lets you sand so much. Now mounting on a single pipe bottom lathe. Let the jig sides run down long to the bottom of the pipe. clamp to squeeze around pipe. just remember with your set up top of pipe=bottom of base to centerline. Sand with the lathe on slow speed. I think I could have made it faster than explaining it. If you need it maybe I can borrow a digital camera and post some pics. Good luck.Pete
NEXT2NUN is offline   Reply With Quote