View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
stripermaineiac

Hard question what with all the different schools of thought.With darters a lot of home builders do it but ask yourself this.Did all the old time builders like Bob Pond,Stan Gibbs,Pichney,Musso and many others water test all those fish catching plugs they made in the 40's an later? It will make a plug track straighter but is that really what you want out of a plug. We all work very hard to impart action of some sort into our plugs we build but does it really make enough difference.Also does it kill fish attracting action we want in our plugs.From a straight stick-needle fish- to something that wiggles like a belly dancer-Darters an metal lip swimmers- they all have a rep for catching fish-large n small. Look at many of the big hogs some of us have landed over the years. My 54 down to Rhody a couple yrs back was on a big pencil retrived in nasty surf like a needle fish /pencil. The big girls loved it till a good one took me over a sharp rock an I lost it. Those fishing on both sides of me never hooked a bass just blues using everything in their plug bag. Why mine an not theirs? Try doin it an not doin it with the same style an see if one out fishes the other.You may end up with a secret weapon. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote