View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you make the most bizarre statements....

yeah, makes perfect sense that a woman who fled Mali presumably from the violence resulting from civil war fueled by jihadists imposing sharia law, female genital mutilation and forced marriages and the general poor treatment of women would cast her first vote for president in favor of a woman who has spent her lifetime defending and enabling a serial user and abuser of women......

if she were a Tea Party member supporting Trump for his firm stance against jihad and radical islamic violence I suspect you'd have a completely different view of her as to "type" of person
Also bizarre is Spence's assertion that the woman is an example of what made our country great in the first place.

Really?

If he is speaking of those who made the perilous journey across the Atlantic ocean before we became a country, there was nobody here to pay their way and welcome them. And there was nobody here who helped to create the conditions which those immigrants wanted to escape such as in the conditions that Hillary helped to develop in Syria which created the refugees in the first place.

There were no food stamps, supplemental security income, assistance for needy families, health insurance for their children, provided to those early American immigrants. They had to pay there way to get here, and suffer the many hardships awaiting them when, and if, they got here.

If he is speaking of those immigrants that arrived after we became a country, for the longest time much the same can be said about them that applied to the early settlers.

What does Spence mean by "great"? Did this country become great before it became "humanitarian"? Or only after that? Did economic and military power fueled by the citizens' desire for them make it possible for us to become great and humanitarian? Or did humanitarianism create the economic and military power that allowed us to become great? And how great is our humanitarianism if we create the conditions which make millions become refugees?

I think the most significant thing about the woman in question here is that she will vote for Hillary. That she will be a Democrat. The Democrats are constantly and "metaphorically" recreating the plantation system they helped to perpetuate so long before the Civil War ended it. And rather than forcing the immigrants (slaves) to come here and populate those plantations, they invite them, legally or illegally, giving them stuff to make it easier, and making them constituents for life. A life where they will be guaranteed, not the hard lash of real freedom and personal responsibility, but cuddly little love pats, and no-no's, to keep them on the farm. I wonder how much Muslims will wander off the farm when a gay couple asks a Muslim baker to make them a wedding cake which glorifies homosexuality?

I don't know what Spence means by greatness. But I think that so called "greatness" which is given to you, is fake. Rather, true greatness comes from the victorious struggle against that which oppresses you. The Syrians would, in my estimation, be "great" if they fought their oppressor and won rather than just running away to be a lackey of a more benevolent one. They would be great if they established the country they want.

Did establishing a Constitution which protected us from tyranny and made us responsible for our lives and for protecting that Constitution make us great? Or did we only become great when we decided to abandon that Constitution and become dependent on a promised soft tyranny?

I don't know what Spence means by great, but it's curious how not too long ago the idea that we were great or exceptional was just puffery. We were supposedly no better than other countries. They were all great in their own way, which makes "great" as a distinction rather meaningless.

Then along comes Trump saying he will make America great again, and he attracts millions of voters. Oh, now the opposing mantra is "when did we stop being great?" I thought it was when we were told that we weren't all that great.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-16-2016 at 11:50 AM..