Thread: LCD HDTV's
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I know there's been some threads recently on TV's. They didn't cover what I was looking for. I've pretty much made up my mind on an LCD HDTV Flatpanel (I was actually looking for HD CRT, too tough to find and didn't want to lay out the cash for plasma). Anyway, the guy at the store got me confused about some of the components. Specifically, what is the purpose of the tuner card and do I need one? Same for the cable card. I can't see any reason to get it if all it buys me is the programming guide, Pay-Per-View, and I no longer need the cablebox. Is there another reason to have this card over the box? It seems like the cable provider should be able to get me either.
The only real advantage to a CableCard is that it eliminates a bulky cable box. You'll still have to pay the cable company and you probably won't have the TV Guide style features you would normally get from your cable provider. Some TV's have TV Guide built into them though.

I love my DVR cable box from Cox; recording programs is very easy and everything is intuitive. It acts as a Tivo in addition to the normal functions of a cable box.

I don't really know anything about a "tuner card" though.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote