View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 05:49 AM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Right no one is saying you should be confiscating all the guns out there. But there is a gun highway coming from other States like Indiana and Mississippi that lead directly to Chicago. Stop that and you take away much of the guns that are used in crimes in Chicago.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Paul you said, correctly, that strict gun laws in chicago don’t do anything, because there’s a sea of guns out there.

Every city is exactly like chicago in that regard. we’re all surrounded by guns, and we can’t do anything about it.

You’re saying, stop the gun highway and you’ve solved the problem? if you built a wall around chicago today, you’re saying that would solve gun crime there? there aren’t millions of guns in chicago already?

If there weren’t any guns currently out there, gun control laws could
make a huge difference. But there are, so they won’t.

I’m not saying we don’t change gun laws where it makes sense, but we need to recognize that does absolutely nothing to address the 400 million guns that are currently out there, and whose hands they are in.

The way to make real widespread change, is to change culture and hearts. That’s extremely difficult, and we’re moving in the exact opposite direction. I don’t like saying it, but i am convinced it’s true, one party is completely invested in moving our culture in the exact wrong direction.

We’re a huge, free country that’s up to our eyeballs in guns. The more we move away from old fashioned values, the more of these there will be.

These things don’t happen with this frequency, in the 1950s, but guns were still common. I’d like to have a national discussion about why the culture then, was so much less prone to this violence.

Family, connecting with others in a real way, faith, empathy, humanity. Understanding that not every human impulse is something to celebrate.

Paul, we don’t like each other much. But you could have 10 machine guns in your home, and i know my kids wouldn’t be in any danger around you. I know it.

it’s not just the guns. it’s not just assault rifles. This kid walked into a school unchallenged,,and was allowed to do whatever he wanted for an hour. he could have pulled this off with a cub scout knife.

Guns are part of the problem, no question. But if we could get more of us to see others the way you see them ( as human beings), that would
also be a huge help.

and it looks like we’ve done nothing to make schools
much safer since Columbine. I don’t know why or how that could be

I’m seeing reports that he shot his gun randomly for ten minutes outside the school, before he entered. How could an external door be unlocked during ten minutes of shooting just outside?

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-27-2022 at 06:01 AM..