View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
joe the plumber

I will most certainly pick that book up...Eels have allways fascinated me and if you don't mind, here is the main reason why.

Forty years ago my uncle would take me, as a ten year old,"Eelin"....
Back then the Poquetanuck Cove,a tidal estuary, in Preston Ct would freeze over thick enough to support us.

We would chop a hole in the ice and with a 15 foot pole with a 6 pronged hook on the end,we would probe it in the mud below.When you felt a wiggle on the end,you would pull it up,hand over hand,and pull anywhere between 1 and 3 Eels off that hook.We would fill a couple burlap bags enough so they were not too heavy and could be carried off the ice.The Eels would range in size from shoestrings to 36 inches long.

We would bring them back home,clean them then share them amongst the family.We ate many,many Eels,all Winter long...I will never forget how good they tasted fried in butter in a cast iron fry pan.We would laugh as my Mother cooked them and the chunks would wiggle in the pan untill the heat killed all the remaining nerve endings...

I drove by that cove so many times this year knowing it was probably safe enough to give it a try.I wonder if they are still there...

I am sorry for the long story.I just had to share.

Thanks,Joe
joe the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote