View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #30
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I'll let Bryan Gividen's twitter post explain it

I am a pro-religious liberty, pro-life, would snort Cocaine Mitch’s judicial confirmations if I could, kind of conservative.

I will explain exactly once why conservatives should support impeachment based on what is publicly available and undisputed.

At this point, there is no question that President Trump directed U.S. officials to withhold security funding to the Ukraine so Ukraine would investigate the Bidens. That is the kind of abuse of the President’s authority we should not tolerate.

So it is absolutely clear what we are talking about: the President used hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money as a bargaining chip to make a foreign country investigate his rivals. That is a textbook play from dictators who are trying to keep power.

“But the Bidens were corrupt!” No clue if this is true, but I don’t care. Americans don’t outsource their investigations of political rivals to foreign countries, especially ones that are themselves full of corruption and especially not with strings attached.

“But the President has authority over foreign policy!” You’re right, but the President is also accountable for how he uses that authority. And when he begins using it to target Americans to entrench his own power, the Constitution says Congress should act.

“But the President really has authority over foreign policy!” Again, you’re right. But if Donald Trump made the “foreign policy call” to turn over the White House to Vladamir Putin, do you really think we couldn’t stop him?

“Democrats are just trying to overturn the 2016 election.” True that a bunch of Ds would impeach Trump if he had sneezed during the oath of office. But stupidity doesn’t excuse stupidity. We’re asking whether President should be impeached, not whether Democrats are consistent.

“But what about ma’ judges (or abortion or religious liberty or the 2nd Amendment)?” First, realistically, we’re talking about Mike Pence becoming President. He will be as good as Trump was on all of those issues.

“But what about ma’ judges (or abortion or religious liberty or the 2nd Amendment)?” Second, selling out American national security threatens each one of those issues far more than swapping out Trump for Pence.

We Americans often take for granted what our security and freedom mean. In recorded history, few have had it as good as we do for as long as we have. A President willing to sell out Americans for his own power threatens what so many have built & fought & bled & died for.

“But I hate the Democrats.” Even if you do, realize that targeting Americans and selling out national security don’t end with them. Don’t doubt for a second that if Ted Cruz had tried to primary Trump, he’d be next.

Don’t support impeachment because you like the Democrats. Support impeachment because you fear that Donald Trump’s abuse of the presidency threatens your freedom.

That’s it. This is the most overtly political tweet I am likely to have ever. Doubt it will move the needle for anyone, but who knows! Maybe if more conservatives speak out, we can move the needle.

Bryan Gividen
@BryanGividen
Attorney. Appellate, securities lit, class actions.
Views are my own & don't represent my firm's or clients' views. Nothing here is legal advice.
Dallas, TX Joined May 2019
So... What is over?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN