View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #136
Mr. Sandman

Welcome to the canyon club. Glad you all survived OK. Having been in that situation as well a few times I had to remind myself why I go on trips like that...they are to HAVE FUN! It is not suppose to be a survival mission. I changed the way I go on these things for the last few years and I am a much happier person. The trips I choose to go on nowadays have great "weather windows" of at least 2-3 days. It is sooooo much more enjoyable to lay on the deck and look at the stars as you snooze while soaking a squid deep then to hunker down and try not to get hurt. Those rough nights out there suck and they are looong, you can't wait for the sun to rise so you can split. It can take days to recover from bad trips like this.

Bottom line is you can not plan these kind of trips far in advance. They need to be a last minute kind of thing. Be ready all the time and when all the stars align (personal schedule, weather, good reports of a solid bite), drop everything and go. Be relentless about this. WHen it is happening and the weather is prime, you go. I have conditioned my wife to understand this thinking, that I could be gone for a few days at any time if the "stars align".
My best trips have been when I get a phone call that says..."we are leaving tomorrow morning, can you go?"

(It is the same reason I don't fish fixed date tournys...if the weather sucks you just bought yourself a misarable weekend...fishing should always be a positive memory event IMO)

Next time you will get them!

Best to all
SM
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote