View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I have the Braid shoulder harness with the straps to adapt to a spinning or conventional rod where the reel doesn't have lugs on it. I got it at the Hook-up in Orleans (about $70 for the harness and $10 for the straps). You have to use a shoulder harness for this application due to the angle need to connect to the rod.

I have an AFCO "butt/waist" harness for my regular standup tuna gear (where the reel has lugs for connecting the harness). I feel that this type of harness is superior to a shoulder harness in fighting a fish because you can "sit down" on the fish and really use your weight rather than leaning back on the fish (which is more tiring).

Either way, the gear isn't cheap but necessary for BFTs given the estimated size the fish will be this season. Talk to Eric Stewart at the Hook-Up in Orleans...he'll give you the no-nonsense scoop on what will work for your application.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote