View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
ed morini

the game

There is no "within one mile of the coast" there are only wind speed areas period. Flood prone areas are another issue altogether, but I just read an article on a door shield for flooding up to 30".I too would ask to see the code reference. If by chance there was one, I would next contact the door company you would like to purchase a door from and ask for a spec sheet to be faxed to the lumber yard or big box store. Most door manufacturers belong to the fenestration board and wind ratings are listed. On the Cape, the wind speed is 110...I believe most doors will pass this. Specs from the manufacturer are all the BI needs for performance compliance.

I just went on the Jeld Wen site and the list a severe storm glass for gtlass paneled doors that pass. I am sure there is a up charge, but you dont have to put a shutter over the door. Come to think of it why can't you just build a storm panel to go over the door. As I recall, on the cape on new construction the storm panels must be on site in order to get occupancy, and as far as I know regular windows are allowed with the additional storm panels.

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote