View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So how many people pay into their insurance plans but can't afford COBRA or find a new job with coverage?

I applaud your parents for making things work, but that's not a one size fits all solution.

-spence
Spence, while there's not an easy solution that works for everyone, there are options out there. Dunkin Donuts offers BCBS health insurance for hourly employees that work 35 hours per week. And they're hiring f/t employees right now. And they're not the only company doing that. I guess some people might think they're above doing jobs that they think aren't good enough for them. Myself, I'd do what Jim's mom did and do what I have to to have insurance for my family.

The government has already made COBRA easier for people to afford with the American Recovery and Investment Act. The government now pays 65% of the person's premium and they also extended COBRA benefits. This is supposed to be temporary until 12/09, but there is already talk of extending it. And keep in mind that the cost of COBRA for a person is the total cost of the insurance company premium. It's what the employee was paying along with the portion that the employer was contributing. So if employees want to complain about the cost they pay, they should consider that the employer is picking up at least 60% and usually more of the total cost of the monthly premium.

The simple solution to making health insurance more affordable (not considering tort reform) is to have standardized costs for services. Certain procedures, surgeries, imaging, etc... will have a fixed price set by the governnment in conjunction with medical professionals and insurance companies. Hospitals will have fixed prices for rooms and medical devices also. I know it's probably a longer shot than tort reform, but to me it seems to be the most logical solution that wouldn't require 900 billion dollars right off the bat.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio