Thread: Fishing reports
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #96
Rockfish9

fished both weekend nights in the river... Went out at midnight Friday( Saturday morning) fishing the top half of the incoming and an hour of the drop..playing a hand that has been good to me for many years... it came up jokers.. I quit at 3 AM ... fish 1 Joe 0... decided to give maximum effort Saturday night still believing that the river would produce... left the dock @ sunset. I drowned/beat to death about a dozen large eels. as the first grey streaks of the new day turned to dawn I saw birds gathering on the outging tide rips...sadly nothing in those rips could eat an 18" eel.. or get a 6" Danny in it's mouth..no matter how many times they hit it... cold... stiff and very tired I headed back to the dock... fish 2... Joe 0...hard to believe that with all that bait dropping down and water temps in the high 50's there wasn't a decent fish anywhere in the river... I even fished way up river in spots I used to fish in the mid 80's when I "needed" a fish and none were to be had "anywhere".. I never even got a tap ... I haven't seen that kind of fishing ( or lack of big fish) since I was very young...not even even during the moratorium... I might just be on a cold streak...it happens.. but even a blind bass gets a pogie once in awhile...on the other hand. I never saw another boat either night... the day break crew headed straight for the mouth of the river.. never even pausing to see what the bird activity was all about...I guess everyone else is smarter than me..

I'll fish the river one more time tomorrow night.. down to the bottom of the tide and then the swing... if I don't see any action it'll mean I covered the entire tide range .. at that time I'll accept there is nothing there ( yet) ..I'll focus on the beach front the rest of the week...after all....it only takes ONE to make it all worth while.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote