View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Since the Constitution isn't the be all, end all, why stop at restricting free speech? Let's get rid of independent news papers and replace them with strictly state-sponsored media, let's throw out due process and restrictions on illegal search and seizures.

I'm obviously being extreme but the point is all the same. Where exactly is the line? If the government is going to be allowed to ignore the Constitution and restrict speech based on "common sense" and "common courtesy", what else are they going to be allowed to restrict based on "common sense."
I haven't seen anyone here saying that newspapers should be abolished. The comments are more about offensive speech around kids. A small child can't go into a convenience store and buy a magazine with pictures of hermaphrodites and big $%#&@ chicks getting 3 holes filled. I don't want my kid seeing that stuff and I also don't want him hearing people using offensive language when we're at the store or out in a restaurant. Frankly, I don't care if people swear around me. I don't think young kids should be subjected to it.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: You're killing me dude.....

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio