View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Don’t worry laws banning speech have already been passed in some states, but we are finally starting to see a media recognition about how "critical race theory" is a carefully constructed moral panic.

Interesting. Didn't know that some states are banning speech. I'm not for that. Please tell us what those anti-speech laws are.

These laws serve multiple purposes: they are culture war fodder with a racial valence to distract from the GOP's threadbare economic policies. While obviously unconstitutional, they will still succeed in chilling speech by teachers/faculty who don't want to be pilloried on Fox.

Didn't realize that GOP's economic policies are threadbare. They were very successful under Trump. By threadbare do you mean they need more policies, that they are short on policies?
That more policies, more "threads" create better economies? More policies, the way I see it, lead to greater government control. You do seem to favor a bigger, more powerful, more centralized government.

Media, esp. local media & right wing media, have largely accepted the framing of CRT as a dangerous theory that must be stopped, rather than as an unconstitutional attack on free speech motivated by a desire to stop conversations about race and power.
Republican politicians started strategically calling all accurate historical information about racial inequality "critical race theory" and a lot of media outlets are just uncritically running with the phrase now.
"Critical race theory" is a real thing, of course, but the political strategy here is concept stretching and, well, it appears to be working.
It's really representative of what the GOP messaging typically does; take an obscure concept that is vague to the general public, build it up as a straw man, and then run against the giant straw man they built.

I don't agree with CRT, but what the GOP labels stuff is not CRT.
So what do you say CRT is? And what about it do you disagree?

Here are two dialogues on the effects of CRT between two Blacks with elite academic credentials and who are not Fox News devotees, nor who are not Republicans or Trump supporters

In this first one you can skip the first 2.40 minutes of promotional info: