Thread: Kids.......
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
Jenn

Do you think it is a different generation thing or upbringing?

20 years ago I decided I could not afford to go the college (not that school was my strong point either) because I could not afford it so I worked three jobs. I never even thought of asking my folks for money to go to college, hell I knew they didnt have it either!

Someone mentioned the wedding....my husband and I paid for that too. Parents gave us monetary wedding gifts which we used toward some of it but it was never expected that they should pay.

Now back to the school thing I understand I could possibily be making twice what I do now but at the same time I did not start my adult life with $200,000 in student loans, a $35,000 car payment and the HOPE that I could find a good paying job in my field, nor did I set my parents or myself back tens of thousands to parade myself around on my wedding day!

I have no idea how the next generation does it! they are now putting themselves (or put their parents) a quarter million in debt before they have even started to think about buying a house (if of course they want to live the american dream)! I just dont get it....unless your overpriced degree guarantees (yeah right) a job with some serious jingle it will take forever for this generation to get on their feet OR there parents will literally pay the price by putting their own financial well being at risk.

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote