View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #64
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I think you’re close but I think the old school republicans don’t like him seizing control of the Republican Party and are looking to their vision of the future.
Trump is not growing the party, he is reducing it. People who identify as leaning republican are put off by his failure to be or inability to appear to be a truthful leader. Put that in just for you.
These guys are shrewd longtime politicians with long term goals and they will not be Nixoned again.
Either he pulls this off and skates thru the investigation issues or they turn and he’s gone.
If he’s gone I am not sure that Pence will be allowed to pardon him. They want to win the next election or at the very least be in a positive position, not viewed as enabling.
There’s a reason McConnell has been invisible and Graham has been helping.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I have no ability to predict with any degree of confidence what the future will be. What you say is plausible, but it is the very kind of political party machination that drove voters away from Trump's Republican opponents in the primaries and into choosing him.

A lot of folks were plain sick and tired of politics as usual and with politicians speaking the same old smooth but phony rhetoric. Trump was the bull in the china shop that smashed the typical stock of imitation figurines. He was an actual "agent of change." And if voters see that the old school Republicans you refer to are acting like typical power mongers who are trying to destroy him in order to seize back power, they may very well give Trump the nod again.

Regardless of the outcome, what you describe is not, to me, savory, but reeks of lying and treachery. Of course, that is the nature of party politics.