View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
roy50

Knot for mono to braid for tuna

I have a question for people that have successfully caught BFT on spinning gear. I've been tuna fishing on the Cape for the past two seasons. I use spinning rods to cast at tuna and I run 50lb. braid to a 60lb or 80lb fluorocarbon leader. I've had trouble finding a good knot so I've been using a barrel swivel but this make casting extremely difficult when your using a 6 foot plus long leader. I need a knot that is strong enough to withstand the pressure of fighting a bft and will also pass through the guides. I tried using the slim beauty knot but this knot weakens and breaks after being repetitively cast through the guides. My friend tried using a Mid knot but this knot got destroyed by the guides as well. (I'm not sure if he tied the mid knot correctly though)? I've tried using a uni to uni and an Albright but I don't feel these knots hold well with a thin braid to a thick mono. Anyone try the Alberto knot? One charter captain said he uses a triple surgeons knot but I just can't imagine this knot having a high break strength? Any suggestions would be great.
Thank You
roy50 is offline   Reply With Quote