View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #46
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
It is easy to say that all of the people killed (700) were Palistinian civilians, because HAMAS has no uniform.
I've never heard of Hamas members being counted as civilian deaths. I have heard credible numbers that 1/3 of those killed have been children.

International law dictates that the impact to civilian populations must be taken into account during warfare. Considering the civilian toll this action appears to be taking, and how so few really expect it to lead to anything productive, one could certianly argue that while Israel has the right to defense, the proportion of Israel's response is illegal.

Quote:
They hide themselves for the most part in amongst the civilian population.
There certainly do appear to be credible reports of Hamas using human shields, which is immoral and criminal to say the least. I'm sure there are also legitimate examples where Israel has returned fire and unknowingly killed civilians.

That being said, to argue that "yea, but they were hiding behind civilians" is not an excuse.

Quote:
When in fact most of those killed, with the exception of the UN school bombing have been fighting members of HAMAS.
You can't assert this as fact because you don't know it is fact.

Quote:
Israelis have begged HAMAS to stop.
Israel doesn't "beg" anyone to do anything. They are in a near complete position of authority when they want to be.

Quote:
Warn them they have day in and day out.
What are you %$%$%$%$ing YODA?

Quote:
Since the last time Israel sent troops into Gaza 6400 missiles have been shot at Israel, with not much of a response militarily.
And how many Israelis have been killed as a result? The rockets didn't really begin until the blockade of Gaza. And yes, Hamas didn't act in the best interest of their people when they broke from Fatah after the election, but that's an issue for the Palestenian people to resolve...ideally with outside help, otherwise we just have more tit for tat.

Quote:
Why doesn't HAMAS stop rocketing Israel and negotiate. I think that it is great idea.
Negotiate with what as leverage? Hamas is a tool of the neighboring states and mostly the people suffer. Israel enables Hamas by asserting itsself against all Palestenians.

The bottom line, as I've said all along, is that both sides are to blame as is the United Nations.

-spence