View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #442
FishermanTim

I wish I had my feeders hanging from a pole based stand, but I'm stuck with having to hang them from the tree in our back yard.
I keep changing the location, changing the distance from the feeder to the nearest branch/launching point, and even the length of the wire it hangs on, but they still find a way.
My last addition was using an unraveled wire coat hanger about 3' long. They ride that thing like a stripper pole!
One other option I thought about (ONLY thought about) was taking the coat hanger wire and sharpen one edge, so that when the buggers try to slide down the wire, they lose a digit or two.
Even I'm not that sadistic, but they are pushing me to the limit.

Mind you, I wouldn't be this peeved if it were only one squirrel, but it's a flipping GANG of them each and every day.

My logic at this point is that if they HAVE to raid the feeders every day, maybe it's time to "cull the herd" and decrease their numbers?
It would be the most humane thing to do when they are all starving during the rest of the winter when I am forced to remove my destroyed feeders.

Does anyone have a good recipe for squirrel stew?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote