Thread: Cordless tools
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Cordless tools

Get the ball rolling.. what do people want to see/know?

Drills..

Bosch makes a great drill/driver
Bosch DDS181-02 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill Driver with 2 1.5Ah Batteries
I like this drill so much that i picked up this kit with another drill and impact driver
Bosch CLPK232-181 18V Max Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit

Before you all fire off the cannon's let me say this.. these 1.5amp "compact batteries" outrun the competition... I would say they compare well with run times as of my Ridgid 18V X3 3amp batteries...

Bosch had a weakness and it was the lack of adding to your Bosch tool line... well they are expanding and have quite of few different tools available.. Bosch cordless lineup.

Dewalt

I still have my XRP drill/driver DW995 have rebuilt the battery packs atleast 5-6 times as this was not really an issue with me since i build my own R/C race packs and wasn't going to pay $80 for a new battery when i could rebuild 2 with the same or better cells for the same price...

that said I kind of got spoiled by my Ridgid Li X3 batteries recharge time
So i picked up the Dewalt DCD775KL... I may have used it once to drive a 4" screw into a piece i was working on...

I put it back in the case and stuck it back in the bench.. nuff said.. I was totally disappointed with the way the drill worked...
I stuck the 18V li battery on the DW995 drill and while it looked like it didn't fit, the battery locked in just fine and ran the drill like a champ...

*********Ridgid
X3 tools they be ok...
I picked up a couple of 18V hyper batteries and i can say wow.. i noticed more torque from the tools... this is the set i use around the house and outside..

****** Porter Cable..
Porter-Cable PCL180DK-2 18V Cordless Lithium Drill/Driver Kit

Not impressed at all... this was another tool i was looking forward to add to my collection and behold the no-name Chinese parts make this drill no better then those found at bargain shops...

I was at Lowes today and it looks like this PorterCable line is being clearanced...

****Makita
Now if I had to do it all over again this would be the line i would go with.. Only because they have it all...
My Father and Brother both use these tools and while i have handled them i really couldn't see the hoopla.. until i started looking for batteries for my Dad.. Makita makes everything from A-Z that is powered by the battery..

I've only played with the Miluwakee 28V impact wrench.. That is the crazy torque.. It will snap lug bolts or pull them off the rim...I snapped two 5/8" Grade 8 6" bolts because i underestimated the power of this thing..

Things to look for...
Warranty should be taken like a grain of salt.. Nice to have but not something that should sell the tool... 2,3,5, lifetime.. is nice but when your tool keeps breaking down and you have to send it in it's still costing you.. your not working or using a backup... Now you need to get a backup for your backup...
Battery prices and availability.. Company history are they changing designs every 12-18 months? including the battery.. plans to phase out 18V line.. Hi Dewalt...

Reviews and customer feed back... on Selling sites where the buyer writes the review and not some random person looking for Posts or points or angles (sales guys) like:

Ooh i bough this drill yesterday and the battery was charged 5 times and the damn thing almost burnt my house down.. never again.. i will stick with XYZ brand...

Hope this helps and not confuses..
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote