View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #75
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
You willing to fund that with your tax dollars? It isn't in the interest of the recycling companies to do that. They recycle for profit. They have no incentive to upgrade all the machinery even if the technology existed The market in China for recycled material has dried up as it is. I understand people view this as solely a personal freedom issue, but when the stuff someone uses becomes an external problem, personal freedom has limits. The impact of plastic on wildlife, and fisheries in particular, is dramatic and the cost to purchase a straw or plastic bag doesn't come close to the economic impact associated with them as waste.

How about this? Tax the straws at a rate that will allow the recycling companies to upgrade the machinery to collect the straws for recycling. Probably end up being a few cents per straw given the 500 million a day that are used in USA. All the tax goes to fund upgrades. Temporary tax of a year or two, whatever is needed. Pretty sure a bunch of people that are upset about local ordinances banning straws would be equally upset about a tax to deal with the problem.
I am already paying Taxes at an exhorbitant rate for tons of services I don't get (some of which I'm fine with, some not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I dont care about deficits I clearly understand they are part of Running a country in the long term .... the point is Republican have stated they cared about deficits as well as some here ..until Trump took office that is ....

But the Tax cut and better GDP were sold as they would pay for themselves and reduce the deficit with an increase in Tax revenue because of the booming economy.... Seems not to be the case
Small deficits are OK to run a country, not a deficit that is 6 times annual receipts.

The fact that YOU don't care about deficits clearly establishes your credibility when it comes to things financial ; ) and if one can further draw conclusions...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: