View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #15
pbadad

Derek you may have sealer bleed. 4hrs is way too long to soak. The excess sealer internally may not of fully cured even though its been awhile. I say this because I tried hot soak birch a couple years ago. Yes it absorbed the sealer quick but too much. I was increasing the needle weight by 6-9 grams. The wood weighed unsealed 28 grams. Thats approx 25%. Within a couple weeks of finishing the process of prime- epoxy., I noticed clear coat lifting on half of the needles. The clear cost lifted everything from the bare wood.
Mind you Ive been doing this same needle for 10yrs or so and the only difference done was this excessive soak. Immediately I went back to my proven.method of 30minute cold soak in 60/40 spar varnish and mineral spirits.
BTW I ended up scraping off all the needles to bare wood and let them dry for a month. I weighed them first then after. Found a drop of half the added weight from the sealer. Fellow builders have done experiments in sealing soak times and found no benefit from soaks longer than 10 minutes.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote