Thread: Judge Kavanaugh
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #128
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
you are completely missing the point. Dershowitz isn’t cashing huge checks on friday morning, then going on tv that afternoon and attacking banks for making profits off the cost of college. that’s the difference, and it’s a huge difference.

harvard is a private school, they don’t force anyone to do anything. if students want to choose to borrow 250k to line Warrens pockets, that’s their choice, that has absolutely nothing to do with me. nothing.

but when Warren goes on tv and uses her platform as a us senator to tell bankers that it’s wrong for THEM to take money from college students, then we should all call her out for being the hypocrite that she is. she obviously doesn’t believe it’s wrong to profit off of college students seeking an education.

you cannot begin to make that wrong, you just can’t. her salary isn’t the issue, it’s the obvious hypocrisy that’s the issue. you can’t see that?

tell me why i’m wrong. pointing out that trump is rich isn’t refuting my point.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Are her horrible statements things like this?
Thank you, thank you. As Barry mentioned, before I was a Senator, I was a law professor. What
he didn’t say is that I taught contracts, secured transactions, and bankruptcy – all courses related
to the functioning of competitive markets. I love markets! Strong, healthy markets are the key to
a strong, healthy America.
That’s the reason I am here today. Because anyone who loves markets knows that for markets to
work, there has to be competition. But today, in America, competition is dying. Consolidation
and concentration are on the rise in sector after sector. Concentration threatens our markets,
threatens our economy, and threatens our democracy.
Evidence of the problem is everywhere. Just look at banking. For years, banks have been in a
feeding frenzy, swallowing up smaller competitors to become more powerful and, eventually,
too big to fail.1
The combination of their size, their risky practices, and the hands-off policies of
their regulators created a perfect storm, resulting in the worst financial crisis in 80 years. We
know that excessive size and interconnectedness promotes risky behavior that can take down our
economy – and yet, today, eight years after that financial crisis, three out of the four biggest
banks in America are even bigger than they were before the crisis and two months ago five were
designated by both the Fed and the FDIC as “too big to fail.”
The concentration problem—and particularly the idea of “too big to fail” in the financial
sector—gets a lot of attention. But the problem isn’t unique to the financial sector. It’s hiding in
plain sight all across the American economy.
You can read the whole thing
https://www.warren.senate.gov/files/...ust_Speech.pdf

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin