View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
spence

Ok, I've read up on the issue a bit. I am now an armchair expert

It doesn't appear that the new law is some radical liberal plot, it's been planned for some years and seems to have broad support from those leading the discussion. Chances are if McCain was President it would have become law all the same.

Some stocks are doing well but others are suffering.

Technology has advanced making individual boats more effective, and as a result the fleet is too large for the number of fish.

The introduction of sectors was meant to grease the skids for the bigger changes, not to be the final state. It does look like the new rules allow for more rapid action if stocks improve as well as increased measures to combat illegal fishing.

I do think the argument that this law moves too quickly and gives lesser fish too much influence has some merit.

I'm not sure how this is a gift to the bigger commercial boats, unless you mean that by putting the little guy out of business they will be the only one left standing.

Being from Iowa this reminds me a lot of the death of the family farmer. New technology improves production, the cost to operate goes through the roof and the little guy doesn't have the finances to cover expenses with a bad harvest.

It simply seems like we're in the middle of change which is unsettling.

-spence