View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post

Edit...ScottW I don't need or want any handouts I just want them to fix this bloated %$%$%$%$ed up broken system they have right now.
I wasn't suggesting that Salty...much of the problem with the system is government involvement currently, RI has I believe more than 1000 mandates for coverage and requirements for h-ins companies presently, as a result there are only 3 providers in RI...many states will not let you purchase catastrophic policies which I believe are the most sensible solution...I've had one for years, I mentioned this before..my family of 5 premium is 300 per month...I pay out of pocket for checkups, dentist, perscriptions up to a max deductible and still come out far ahead after many years of paying BC/BS individually...I spent this morning "shopping" for an abdominal CT scan for my wife... I spoke to the head of the department at Newport Hospital regarding his fee for reading the catscan, when he found out that we were self pay he reduced the cost by 50%...we found the same to be true with the scan itself....I'm not done "shopping" because there are scores of facitities within 50 miles that provide that service at many different prices...few people ever consider what these things cost, they simply pull out their card and someone else takes care of everything...with that reality it's hard to complain when you think that things have gone amuck, in some cases you have no choice but to head right to the emergency room...but in most cases you could absolutely shop around for a doctor that you liked/preferred and felt was not robbing you if you actually had the incentive, you don't with most insurance these days because you purchase through someone else like an employer, a policy that includes for more coverage than you will ever require because they are in most cases mandated to include scores of things by the state....if you purchased individually a policy with things that you felt were necessary and didn't expect an insurance policy to pay for every little bit of medical attention as well as anything that could somehow be construed as medical care(botox, viagara) you'd be far better off and you'd have far more freedom to "shop" for what is best for your particular situation...

in my opinion far too many people now assume that healhcare as well as insurance and medical services are just something that someone else should be paying for, providing and taking care of all of the nasty paperwork so that they may use it at will...

when I say "you"...I'm not saying..you Salty...just you...anyone you..

Last edited by scottw; 09-11-2009 at 04:20 AM..